Before You Move
- Obtain the bochure Ready to Move and the booklet Your Rights and Responsibilities. When You Move from the mover.
- Ask for recommendations from neighbors, friends, and relatives regarding the mover.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau regarding the mover.
- Find out what the mover’s responsibilities are for damages that may occur to your belongings.
- Ask if the mover has a dispute settlement program.
- Be present to answer questions and give directions to the movers. Stay until they finish.
- Accompany the movers as they inventory your household goods and resolve any questions regarding the condition of materials being moved.
- Carefully read the information on the estimate, order for service, bill of lading, inventory, and all other completed documentes before you sign them.
- Keep the bill of lading until your goods are delivered, the charges are paid, and any claims are settled.
- Be present to answer any questions and give directions.
- Pay the driver, according to the term of your agreement, before your goods are unloaded.
- Supervise unloading and unpacking of your goods.
- Note on the inventory list all boxes or other items that are damaged before you sign any documents.